Breaking news! Details of iPhone OS 4.0 have surfaced this fine evening of Tuesday, January 19th. The news was first reported by BoyGeniusReport, whose source was attributed to one of their “trusty Apple connects.”
According to the news, iPhone OS 4.0 will feature:
- Multitasking – Say what?! iPhone owners have clamored incessantly to be able to run multiple applications in the background. Apple, after seeing that other emerging smartphones were adopting this practice, has decided to relent despite warning in the past about the drain multitasking would pose on battery life. (If it was up to me, I’d say “screw it! We don’t need multitasking! I don’t wanna recharge my battery twice a day!”)
- Multitouch gestures support – Use your imagination. TWSS!
- Available only for iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS – iPod Touch users around the world cry in unison.
- Syncing upgrade – The details are vague but encompasses syncing the contacts and calendar apps.
- Graphical and UI enhancements – Still unclear but seems to bode very well in terms of improved user experience and homescreen layout.